Monday, September 12, 2011

The Desert Table

Hi All

As you may or may not know I tend to call my home the "hand-me-down" house. I love old furniture. Mostly I love items that have previously been loved. There is a special history to items found in my home. I have a 100 year armoire, a full size quilt box, a fold up table and chairs set that has been past to at least 3 families, and other odds and ends. I wouldn't exactly say any of them are truly valuable or well know antiques, but they all hold a special place in my heart and in my humble home.

Soon after I had my daughter I began to feel we had outgrown our little fold up table and chairs set. One day on our way home from my in-laws (they literally live one street over and two blocks up) I spotted a upside down table in an empty lot. We live in a desert area and empty lots around here tend to have a lot of brush and tumble weeds and yes, sometimes trash. I eyed that table for about a month or more and then I worked up the courage to get my husband to go and take a look at it with me. I remember as we walked over there, me carrying our daughter, my husband came to the conclusion I was going to make him drag it home. Sure enough it was a perfectly good table! I started my speech about how I could restore it, that at least I couldn't damage it, and if I did mess it up we could always just put it back. Little did I know he already knew what he was in store for, hee hee.

I cleaned it, sanded it, painted it and we loved it for quite some time. Now as I said we live in a desert area. The heat, sun, sand and other elements had already done a number on the old wood. After a couple of years the screws had a hard time staying tight and the cracks weren't getting any better. Pretty soon the poor thing had a terrible wobble. A friend of mine who was moving called and said that she wouldn't be able to take her table and chairs with her and asked if I was interested in them. It was obviously time to say goodbye to my project table. But, I couldn't do it! A true crafter never gives up on materials, right? I asked my husband to take it apart and store it until I had some idea on what to do with it. He gave me the "I think you're crazy" face, but he did it for me.

It took almost two years, but it struck me like lighting! I know what to do with it. Most of it anyways. Now I just had to find the perfect quote. So many to go through. Too many if you ask me, but I found the one I wanted. I am so proud of my desert table. I hope you like it too.

So here it is....

 
Love is patient,
Love is kind.
    I Corinthians 13:4

No comments:

Post a Comment